Sunday, March 25, 2012

Green Mountain Naturals - hot apple cider

copyright Durhamonthecheap - Green Mountain Naturals sample
Green Mountain had a promotion during which they gave away 12 packs of Hot Apple Cider K-cups. I signed up and was lucky enough to get a package to sample. I usually like Hot Cider, but have never really wondered about the ingredients in the packages that you see on the grocery store shelves.

First off - I initially started drinking the cider in the morning in lieu of my usual coffee. Big mistake - I actually do miss my morning coffee and quickly switched back to the coffee in the morning routine, saving the cider for the afternoon break.

The K-cups for the cider are used like any other K-cup in your Keurig coffee maker. I opted for the 10oz portion initially and ended up with a very weak flavored apple cider. While I could make out the apple flavor, it was not strong enough for me. I did not need to add any sugar because the sweetness was right on target. While not overly sweet, the cider definitely was not sufficiently tart to require sugar to be added. I then switched to the 8oz cup, hoping to bring out more of the apple flavor, but I was disappointed again. The apple flavor is very weak compared to what I am used to in terms of both powdered cider mixes and regular cider bought from the refrigerated aisle in the grocery store and heated up.

I am not sure whether the weak flavor is due to the all natural ingredients or whether the fact that my Keurig machine is mostly used for coffee and the lingering coffee grounds affect the flavor. I will finish up the package of Green Mountain Naturals hot apple cider, but not reorder the flavor. The color was also weak and not as dark as that seen in other cider preparations. I can certainly do without the color, which in many products is mostly due to added artificial ingredients anyway. But the flavor of this hot apple cider is just very weak and making this Green Mountain Naturals product a disappointment.


copyright Durhamonthecheap - brewed Hot Apple Cider

No comments: