Saturday, April 7, 2012

Aldi product review: Canned Three Bean Salad

I stopped by Aldi today to look for a quick lunch idea and saw that they had canned Three Bean Salad. I never realized that Aldi carried this salad before and grabbed a can since I love Three Bean Salad. The can retails for 99 cents and is the usual size of an Aldi vegetable tin.
For lunch I paired simple hot dogs in a bun with the canned salad and was quite happy with the flavor of the salad. It is not too sour, even though I have tasted the salad in slightly sweeter versions and they only include dressing, but no onions. If you like onions with your bean salad, you will have to chop some.
copyright Durhamonthecheap - hot dog in a bun and Aldi canned Three bean Salad
 The salad is simply dressing with green and yellow beans as well as kidney beans. Overall, for 99 cents it is a good price and certainly easier than starting to make the salad yourself, especially looking at the price of yellow beans these days. Since I love yellow beans or waxbeans, I have started to settle for the bean salad since regular yellow beans, even frozen varieties, are just too expensive on their own. Having them mixed in with green and kidney gives me the yellow bean flavor, but at a much more affordable price.

I will definitely continue to stock up on the Three Bean Salad from Aldi from now on since I also like to add a spoonful of the bean salad to regular iceberg salad as a source of protein.

No comments: