Saturday, February 2, 2013

Catch it while you can: Aldi in Durham has Red Velvet Cake on clearance at $2.99

I stopped by the Aldi in S. Durham today and besides my actual shopping list items, I did pick up something nice for dessert this weekend. Aldi had Red Velvet Cake for the last few weeks, but today I saw it was on clearance for less than $3. Down from more than $6, the price was too good and I pulled trigger and bought a cake.
copyright Durhamonthecheap - beautiful looking Red Velvet Cake from Aldi for less than $3

copyright Durhamonthecheap - without the cover the cake looks even better!

copyright Durhamonthecheap - a sized slice and still 11 more left over!
 I am not an expert on Red Velvet Cake, but this cake was wonderfully light and fluffy. I liked that the cake was not too dense and the frosting was just thick enough to cover the cake, but certainly not too thick to make the cake overly sweet. Overall, I think that the Aldi version of a Red Velvet Cake will serve nicely as a family dessert and at the current clearance price it is a true bargain!

The velvet cake does contain cacao and the frosting is cream cheese. Based on our experiences, one slice is just fine, although because of the light texture an adult can easily finish up two slices. The fact that the cake tastes really good makes eating two slices certainly an easy enough "chore".
copyright Durhamonthecheap - ready to dig in!

No comments: