Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Product Review: Lean Cuisine Honestly Good line of frozen meals - Lemongrass salmon

I rarely eat microwave food, preferring instead to cook my own meals so that I know what it is in the food. But I had a splitting headache today that really made me feel groggy all day and so I was glad to be home and able to take a nap after work. Cooking was out of the question. For these occasions I have frozen dinners at home, so that there is still food on the table.
During the latest week of Super Doubles at Harris Teeter I picked up a few Honestly Good meals from Lean Cuisine. This is a new product line by Lean Cuisine intended to be healthy with whole grains and generous meat portions that are both filling, but also enjoyable and healthy. I opted for the lemongrass salmon because this is not a dinner I usually fix. I rarely have lemongrass at home, but love the flavor of lemongrass.
copyright Durhamonthecheap - a generous portion, healthy and most important - very tasty!
The preparation is very easy. You take the separate sauce package and thaw it either under warm water or in your hand. Meanwhile you heat the meal for 3 minutes in the microwave. Then you add as much of the sauce as you wish and heat the meal for another 2 minutes - then you are ready to serve!

The lemongrass salmon is described as a whole coconut-crusted wild caught salmon filet, complemented by brown rice with wheatberries, snap peas, orange & yellow carrots, edamame, and ginger lemongrass sauce in a separate pouch. Overall, there is truth in advertising. The meal was meeting my expectations based on the description and the meal tasted very nice. It is filling, but does not wear you down.

For 320 calories, you get 5g of fiber and 18g of protein, with only 9g of fat. So the meal is really a meal and the flavor is fresh and actually tastes like homemade. I like the packaging because I can vary how much sauce to add and the plastic to me is taste neutral. I could not taste the fact that the meal was heated in a plastic container.

Overall, I give this new line of dishes by Lean Cuisine high marks and this lemongrass salmon is something I would definitely consider stocking up at home for when a murderous headache hits again and prevents me from preparing a home cooked meal. 

No comments: