Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Quick and healthy eating the frugal way - curried chicken stew with spinach and mushrooms

This weekend I found pre-chopped veggies on clearance at Kroger and when I also found some reduced for sale mushrooms, I decided that it was time for some home-cooking that did not involve soup. I looked for reduced for sale meat and found chicken thighs and also added some spinach, bagged for salad, that had also been reduced.

At home, I skinned and de-boned the thighs, then quickly browning them in some vegetable oil to make sure they were cooked through and browned on both sides. Then I removed the meat from the pan and added the stir fry vegetables, the mushrooms and let them simmer in some chicken stock until they were soft. Lastly, I added back the chicken cut into bite-size pieces and then cooked the fresh spinach until it was wilted. Adding some sour cream to thicken the sauce, curry for some flavor and I had a filling chicken curry stew that took about 20 minutes to prep.

I paired the stew with some crusty bread and using chop sticks, we had a wonderful dinner that cost less than $10 for enough stew to feed 4 to 6 people.
copyright Durhamonthecheap -

No comments: