Wednesday, December 26, 2012

simple, three ingredient meatball appetizer dish

Through Cravebox's Winter Favorites box I received a bottle of Heinz Chili Sauce as well as a recipe card for Ultimate Party Meatballs. I had previously seen this recipe as part of the Oceanspray newsletter and thought it sounded yummy.

So with the holidays here and people in the house that are always hungry, I figured this would be the perfect time to make the recipe. It is very simple because you just mix the Heinz Chili sauce with a can of Oceanspray Jellied Cranberry Sauce and 2 pounds of frozen, pre-cooked meatballs and heat the mix for 4 hours in your slowcooker. Below is the photo-essay about the dish. By the way, the meatballs taste excellent. They have just the right mix of sweet and spicy to make the meatball flavor unique and very, very tasty.

copyright Durhamonthecheap - all the ingredients you need for the recipe- could not be easier!

copyright Durhamonthecheal - and the prep is done - everything in the slow cooker and now heat!

copyright Durhamonthecheap - my trusted slowcooker will be busy for 4 hours on high!

copyright Durhamonthecheal - halfway through, things smell delicious and start to look tasty!

copyright Durhamonthecheap - after 4 hours, the sauce has nicely thickened and the meatballs have absorbed flavor!


copyright Durhamonthecheap - the meatballs, some sauce and leftover stuffing and you get a great lunch!
As you can see, while it takes 4 hours to cook the meatballs, the hand-on time is limited to minutes. Literally, after adding all ingredients to the slow cooker, I just stirred the mix a couple of times and that was all the cooking that was required of me. We had meatballs as appetizers and used some of the left over meatballs in dishes ranging from the stuffing and meatballs you see above to pasta with meatballs. Add a salad or some veggies and you got dinner in a few minutes.

This was the first time that I had tasted Heinz Chili sauce, but I will likely stock it in my pantry regularly now because I like the tangy spiciness of the sauce. Adding on the Cranberry sauce makes this a uniquely flavorful sauce that I can see myself trying on other items like sausages or chicken breast. It makes for an incredibly flavorful meal.

Disclaimer: I received the Heinz Chili sauce and the recipe card for the Ultimate Party meatballs through Cravebox.com Winter Favorites. The opinions expressed on this blog are solely my own and have not been influenced by Cravebox, Oceanspray, Heinz or any third party.

No comments: