Saturday, March 29, 2014

Moms Meet sampling event: Fresh Express Salads

Thanks to Moms Meet I was able to sample something very healthy this spring. I got free coupons to indulge in Fresh Express Salad mixes. Available locally at most grocery, including Kroger and Harris Teeter, Fresh Express mixes come in a large variety of flavors and sizes. I opted for the mixed greens bags rather than buy salad kits, such as Cesar Lite. I usually add a trip to the salad bar for some protein- or fiber-rich add-ons, such as orzo salad, bean salad or corn salsa. Adding some extra cheese or ham to a layer of Fresh Express salad, topped with a spoon of the corn salsa or the orzo mix will make for a gourmet salad at very reasonable prices.
copyright Durhamonthecheap - a bed of Fresh Express greens topped with chickpeas, sweet peppers, and turkey!

copyright Durhamonthecheap - a bed of greens from Fresh Express, topped with Asian dressing, orzo, ham, beans & radishes

copyright Durhamonthecheap - all you need for a week of ever changing salads 0 Fresh Express and salad bar add-ons!
If you go to the Fresh Express website here you can convince yourself just how many varieties are available. Some varieties include my favorites such as veggie lovers, green and crisp, baby spinach, spinach and arugula. They also have salad kits that come with the greens, toppings and dressing - everything you need for a filling salad in one bag.

Since I am really picky with dressings and usually prefer just plain oil and vinegar, I usually buy the bags with just greens in them, stop by the salad bar for some fiber-rich and protein filled add-ons such as orzo salad, bean salad, or corn salsa. Sometimes I also buy items such as sweet peppers, fresh mushrooms or radishes to add color and crunch to the salad. Then I always have shredded cheese or ham at home, sometimes a hard-boiled egg and in a few minutes I have made a wonderful salad that did not break the bank, but tastes like a salad from a regular restaurant - which would have usually cost me about $10.

Update:
I made use of a sale at my local grocery store and stocked on some more salad. I love the Fresh Express Sweet and Crunchy variety because it has green and red butter lettuce. This is perfect for a light salad. I simply added some shredded cheese, sliced pastrami and a light dressing of oil and vinegar. I paired this salad with some small toasted slices of bread covered in pate. Perfect for a light dinner on a (finally) warm spring day!
copyright Durhamonthecheap - picked up a couple of more bags, in particular my favorite Sweet and Crunchy!

copyright Durhamonthecheap -another healthy dinner, sandwiches and Sweet & Crunchy with Pastrami!
What is your favorite blend of Fresh Express Salad mixes? Do you prefer the plain salad mixed or do you usually buy a salad kit with dressing and toppings already included?

copyright Durhamonthecheap - the salad was mixed with some Hidden Valley Ranch dressing (light version) - YUM!


Disclaimer: I received free samples from Moms Meet in exchange for hosting a sampling event and an honest review of the product. The opinions expressed in the blogpost are solely my own and have not been influenced by Moms Meet or any third party.

No comments: