Thursday, November 22, 2012

Pastis or the French do not just like wine!

When I visited Germany earlier this year, I of course had to stop by Aldi and sample their weekly specials. One of the items that peaked my interest was an alcoholic beverage that I rarely see on menus in the USA, but that I love because of its anise flavor - Pastis.

copyright Durhamonthecheap - Pastis is like anise in a bottle!

So what is pastis? If you like Ouzo like I do, then will very likely love Pastis as well. Pastis is an anise-flavored liqueur that is usually diluted with cold water. It has a refreshing effect and can be used to cool down on hot summer days. I love to sit in my sunroom and sip on cold pastis. Unlike Ouzu, which I drink undiluted and quickly like a shot, Pastis I like to sip and enjoy.

Beware that Pastis, when diluted with cold water, will get a very cloudy, milk-like appearance. I usually take 1 part Pastis to 5 parts of cold water and then enjoy. Pastis is commonly enjoyed in France, but is most often found in southeast France, around the area of Marseille.

Next time you want to bring a reasonably priced bottle of spirit to a party,  but not the usual red or white wine, see if you can find a bottle of Pastis in the store. In Europe, the bottle of Pastis will be less than $15, a very reasonable, but unusual treat to expose your friends to.


No comments: