Sunday, November 18, 2012

Product review: Goodies sampler box

I am meber of several subscription box services, some free, some at bargain prices, all providing me interesting packages several times a month. One new service that I signed up for is Goodies, a company affiliated with Walmart that compiles food-related boxes several times a year as a way to introduce customers to new products that have a gourmet angle. The plan is that based on feedback through online orders, Walmart may decide to stock some of these items in their stores.
The first box arrived a couple of days ago and I was pleasantly surprised because not a single item in the box was known to me from prior experiences. To find a collection of totally new items was very nice and made the box, which cost $7, very worthwhile.
I am not through sampling all the products, but will use this entry to introduce a couple of items that I really liked a lot! First, the picture of the box. You can see that a large cotton bag was included that I can use for grocery shopping. In addition, I received a sample of Pumpkin Spice tea, some candied nut mixture, white cheddar popcorn, a caramel spread, a mix to make two chocolate souffles, wine crackers, and an organic dark chocolate bar with a crispy texture.

copyright Durhamonthecheap - my first Goodies box for $7!

The first item that I samples was the Wite Cheddar popcorn from Oogies. For lunch, paired with a banana, it was a perfect snack. The popcorn was not greasy at all and the cheese flavor tasted like real cheese and not artificial cheese spread.

copyright Durhamonthecheap - my mission was to enjoy this little bag of candied nuts!
Then I could not resist trying out the nut mixture. They are available at amazon.com and I sampled the original mix. The bag contained almonds, cashews and pecans combined with a blend of savory spices - it was very, very good. The flavor of the spices actually enhanced the nutty flavor of the mix and the nuts were very fresh. I may have order some more from Goodies.co here, the price for a full-size 8oz jar is around $10.

Another item that I could not wait to sample was the Biscoff spread. It looked like peanut butter, but tasted different and so much better. Again, Goodies.co to the rescue when I need to order the full-size jar here at a price of around $7 to $8 a jar.
copyright Durhamonthecheap - perfect snack, Biscoff spread and some crackers

copyright Durhamonthecheap - it looks like peanut butter, but so much better with a nice hint of caramel!
I really enjoyed the sweet, caramel flavored spread with the contrasting mild saltiness of the crackers. The combination made a very nice midday snack. If you ever had the Biscoff cookies, which I have enjoyed for several years now after being introduced to them on an flight in the USA, then this spread is for you. It is made out of 57% Biscoff cookies and can be used just like peanut butter. It even comes in a crunchy and smooth variety.

So, overall the my first Goodies box made me very happy because I get to sample a bunch of awesome products so far. I am very happy to have learned about Biscoff spread because that is definitely something I am considering ordering from amazon.com.

Disclaimer: I received the samples as part of the subcription service by Goodies. The opinions expressed in this blog are solely my own and have not been influenced by third parties.

No comments: