Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Food Review: gopicnic ready to eat meals

In my goodie bag from Real Moms love to eat, I also received a box of gopicnic Ready to Eat Meals in the flavor combo of " Turkey Pepperoni + Cheese: Classic Deli Meal". I previously had their combo with Peanut Butter + Crackers: All-Natural Meal and was very happy with it, so I was looking forward to trying this combo. The nice thing about gopicnic meals is the fact that they include a full meal - usually crackers with a topping, then a fruit-based snack as well as a sweet dessert. So you really do get a full meal in a box!

The peanut butter and cracker box contained: (listed price $4.99)
  • Peanut Butter & Co. Smooth Operator Natural Peanut Butter
  • Partners Get Movin' Honey Wheat Crackers
  • Sweet Perry Orchards Unsweetened Applesauce
  • Annie's Homegrown Cheddar Bunnies
  • Professor Zim Zam's All-Natural Jelly Jets
My  Turkey Pepperoni + Cheese: Classic Deli Meal contained: (listed price $4.99)
  • Bridgford Turkey Pepperoni Slices
  • Crunchmaster Multi-Seed Crackers
  • Copper Cowbell Asiago Gourmet Cheese Spread
  • Mariani Dried Cranberries & Pineapple
  • Brown & Haley Almond Roca Buttercrunch Toffee Candy
Again, the combo is gluten free and every item was very good, except the pepperoni slices. I am not too fond of pepperoni to begin with and tried one slice, but it seemed too greasy to me and while the flavor was okay, the greasy look of the slices as well as texture were not something I would normally eat.

The rest of the ingredients, especially the cheese spread and the crackers were very good and had both a good taste and nice texture to them. I would have preferred some apple sauce instead of the dried fruit, but the pineapple / cranberry combo was also quite good. All in all, it was a filling meal, but compared to the peanut butter and cracker combo, I would definitely prefer the box meal with peanut butter and crackers. Unfortunately, the peanut butter and cracker combo is not gluten free.

The gopicnic website is available here. I can recommend their box meals because they have a long shelf life and the ingredients are high quality. Some of the meals are gluten free and their website makes it really easy to find the listed ingredients for each box, the nutritional information as well as whether the meal is gluten free. As far as I know, Whole Foods carries some of their products. I got the peanut butter and cracker box meal through a Whole Foods giftbox.


No comments: