Thursday, June 7, 2012

Private Selection Angus Beef - ground beef from Kroger

Through bzzagent.com I was able to sample several products from the Private Selection line of products sold at Kroger grocery stores throughout the country.
One coupon allowed me to get some ground Angus Beef for free. While I had hoped to sample the burgers made with Angus Beef at a holiday, I decided today that I could not wait since the weather just called for grilled food at dinner. I am having some remodeling done, so the porch cannot be used and I had to grill inside (the porch will be ready by July 4th for the real big party). I used my old Foreman Grill and made up my mix of beef and spices.



I added the beef, one egg, chopped chives and a beefy onion soup mix in a bowl and mixed everything thoroughly. I like the mixture of fresh and dried ingredients and chives provide a nice flavor in combination with an onion soup mix.

copyright Durhamonthecheap - ground Angus Beef with spices waiting to be formed into patties
I then formed small patties since I wanted to use toasted bread rather than burger buns and I also like to add plenty of lettuce and tomatoes to the sandwich.

copyright Durhamonthecheap - patties on the George Foreman Grill - you can see the grease collecting
As I was grilling the burgers on the grill, I was glad that I had used the George Foreman grill because plenty of grease kept collecting. I do not like a lot of fat in my food and usually eat very little red meat, especially ground beef, instead opting for leaner cuts as well as chicken breast or fish. Anyway, I grilled the patties thoroughly to ensure that most of the grease ran out of the meat.

copyright Durhamonthecheap - burgers are almost done, plenty of fresh veggies to go with patties
Once thoroughly grilled, the patties were stacked on toasted bread with lettuce and tomato. Since I had added spices to the meat, I did not add any ketchup or mustard. I actually liked the finished product. The spices added a nice touch to the burger and the meat was flavorful to easily overshadow the lettuce and tomatoes. I really liked the burger and the meat tasted like real beef and the overall burger flavor was very good and is definitely something I will add to my recipe book. I cannot state that the burger tasted like Angus beef because I am not really sure that the flavor is different,  but the flavor was certainly more pronounced than in fast-food chain burgers and you could really taste the beef.

No comments: