Saturday, November 30, 2013

(Fast) Food Review: Wendy's Bacon Portabella Melt on Brioche

I normally do not eat anything other than Dollar Menu items from Fast Food places and even those occasions are rare. But a large part of my Thanksgiving vacation was spent cleaning up one of my rentals because my former tenant may not have been familiar with the concept that water can clean up dirt. So after another morning painting, cleaning, scrubbing and taping one last wall for painting tomorrow, I decided that I would splurge and reward myself with some fast food goodness.

The Wendy's on S. Roxboro just got renovated and so I decided that I would give their menu a try. I saw a sign for something called "Wendy's Bacon Portabella Melt on Brioche" and that just sounded good on so many levels, not the least because I love brioche and mushrooms melt sandwiches in general. I ordered only the sandwich, no need to add fries and other stuff to that burger. I planned to make my own salad at home to keep the meal somewhat healthy and also because I prefer my own salads with just an oil/vinegar dressing rather than regular salad dressings.

copyright Durhamonthecheap - brioche burger from Wendy's with my homemade healthy meal ingredients
The nutritional info is kind of scary with 600 calories, 34 grams fat, 1390 mg sodium, 2 grams fiber, 34 grams protein, but this is probably the first full-size burger I have had in almost 6 months.Anyhow, with my salad and the apple as a meal it was not all bad.

The flavor itself was good. The brioche was nice and sweet, well balanced with the smoky bacon and the earth mushrooms. The Wendy's burger is always good size and so the burger is actually just the right size that can bite into the bun and get all flavors with each bite. As the above image shows, there is plenty of bacon and lots of mushrooms. The cheese hold everything nicely together and the brioche is for me the best burger bun right now on the market. It is soft, but still has enough chewy consistency to not melt through if you let the burger sit for a while. I hope that Wendy's decides to offer the brioche as an alternative on more burgers because to me that brioche bun makes the Wendy's Bacon Portabella Melt a real winner.

Disclaimer: All opinions expressed in this blog are solely my own and have not been influenced by any third party.

No comments: