Sunday, November 24, 2013

Trip to Wilmington - nice in the off - season as well

Last week I was able to drive to Wilmington for a conference. It was my first time in this coastal city and I quite enjoyed the historic downtown area. On the first day, we had summer-like temperatures in the 80s, but then it cooled down significantly into the 50s for the next two days and time spent outside was not so pleasant anymore.
copyright Durhamonthecheap - image from the boardwalk in Wilmington.
 Unfortunately my free time was limited to the evening hours because I spent all day at the conference. But I was able to walk to the conference center from the Wilmingtonian, which was a really nice hotel. And this walk led me right along the boardwalk and so I could enjoy the boats every day.
copyright Durhamonthecheap - the lawyer in me has to take an image of the courthouse

copyright Durhamonthecheap -  the coast guard was visiting and you could take tours on the ship
As I stated, I stayed at the Wilmingtonian, which is located just one block of the lively and well lit downtown Wilmington area. While people are encouraged to only venture outside after dark in groups, this hotel is only one block away from the downtown area with lots of restaurants and so the neighborhood is quite safe. The Wilmingtonian offers the advantage of free parking all day and all day they provide snacks and beverages, which is very nice. In the morning they provide freshly brewed coffee and wrapped pastries, such as muffins, and all day long they offer juice, tea and saoda + yogurt and fresh fruit as well as snack bars. I can highly recommend the Wilmingtonian for a stay, especially if you plan to explore the historic downtown area.

from the website of the Wilmingtonian - http://thewilmingtonian.com/
In the evening, you have your choice of various restaurants in downtown Wilmington, several offering local beers and unique dinner options. If you just want a sandwich, they got chain stores, such as Jimmy Johns, in the downtown area as well. But I highly recommend sampling the local cuisine and enjoying some fresh seafood! Overall, even in the off season, Wilmington is a nice place to visit for a weekend and offers a reasonably priced vacation destination.

No comments: