Friday, January 25, 2013

Product review: Big Game CraveBox

Today I received the Cravebox to go with the Superbowl next week. The box was sponsored or associated with Zatarain's, similar to the earlier box last year that was titled "Cooking Light" Cravebox. I expected several Zatarain's products and was not disappointed. Cravebox provided a wonderful variety of products and everything included is going to be used for the Superbowl party. The beads will  be used for decoration,  but the rest will be gobbled up during the game.


copyright Durhamonthecheap - everything you need to throw a NO-themed Superbowl party!
 In the above photo you see the whole goodness of the box. I was extremely happy with the selection and the amount of products included. Every item goes well with the theme of a Superbowl party and the Superbowl happening in New Orleans. I am also happy to see a mix of new item and old favorites. Cravebox definitely got it right with this box. I you are interested in subscribing to Cravebox, go to Cravebox.com and sign up for an account. You will have to enter a credit card that gets charged for every box you sign up for. Cravebox is not an automatic subscription service, meaning you do not get a box, unless you specifically request it. I like this feature about Cravebox because depending on the time of year, I may have so many things in my freezer that I really do not want to find any more food at my door.

That being said, Cravebox is now starting a feature in which you can subscribe to a series of boxes with a common theme. So you are able to sign up for a series, paying for all boxes in advance and are thereby guaranteed to get each box in the series. So if you feel very strongly about books and Cravebox decides to put together a booklovers series, you can sign up for all  boxes, pay in advance and then know that you will receive each box in the series. I am still somewhat on the fence about this proposal since I like to decide based on theme, current pantry state and travel plans whether getting a subscription box with food is a good idea.


copyright Durhamonthecheap - product discovery! mustard by Zatarain's, should go well with spicy sausage
 This product I am particularly excited about. I am sucker for mustards and I actually look forward to trying out new varieties. I had not even seen this Zatarain's mustard at the local grocery store and I cannot wait now to try it out. It is nice and coarse, so it should be quite flavorful!

copyright Durhamonthecheap - who can say no to beans and rice? Put them in a crockpot and enjoy!
 I am so happy they included this basic staple of NO cooking. I will likely make at least one box as a vegetarian dish.

copyright Durhamonthecheap - I have the chicken in the freezer already for a mild jambalaya!
 I love jambalaya and with the chicken in my freezer I can make an excellent mild Jamabalya. I also have polish sausage frozen, which I can use for a more spicy version. I may just put both boxes into the crock pot and add a bunch of finely chopped chicken for a party-size jambalaya.

copyright Durhamonthecheap - all that spicy food calls for some iced tea and I love True Lemon mixes!

 I love True Lemon products and have sampled the flavors of original Lemon, Lime and Orange so far. This is new to me, but I appreciate that True Lemon products are all natural and so getting iced tea that is natural, but easy to prepare, is definitely something I like. With all the spicy dishes that I can prepare courtesy of Zatarain, we will definitely need something to cool our burning throats!

copyright Durhamonthecheap - Creole seasoning to add spice to your meat or veggies!
 This should be good to add some spice to regular vegetable or white meat dishes. I still have plenty of chicken in the freezer and I can see myself adding some of this seasoning to it and some vegetables for an easy dinner.

copyright Durhamonthecheap - great selection of products and keep in mind I got two of each!
 The video describing the contents in more detail is below. I am very with the Big Game Cravebox. All the products are items I can use and a couple of them are new to me like the mustard and iced tea mix. From a cost perspective, this is a great bargain since I only paid $15 for the box but ended up getting more than $30 worth of products.

Keeping in mind that prices differ across the USA and certain items on sale will be significantly cheaper, I took the prices from amazon.com (and even here prices can differ based on the company offering the product).
True Lemon Iced Tea, 6 packets -- $2.50 x2
Zatarain's Creole Mustard, 5.25 oz. -- $4.49 x2
Zatarain's Creole Seasoning, 8 oz. -- $6.99 x2
Zatarain's Jambalya Mix (family size), 12 oz. -- $2.50 x2
Zatarain's Red Beans and Rice, 8 oz. -- $2.00 x2
+ some beads!

Disclaimer: I received this product collection through Cravebox in exchange for a subscription fee. The opinions expressed in this blog are solely my own and have not been influenced by Cravebox or any other third party.

No comments: