Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Review: Goodies January box

Today the January Goodies box came. I am not sure if there was a specific theme for this box, but as always the contents were healthy, containing many natural ingredients and showed a great variety in product types. They included a soda, which I was happy about because I love trying out new beverages. I would more often buy special sodas, but it is so hard to find single serving sodas these days and I hate to buy 6-packs and then realize that the flavor I imagined the soda to have is nothing like the flavor that soda ends up having!


copyright Durhamonthecheap - Goodies January 2013 box exemplifying what product discovery is all about!
As you can see from the image, I got
  • original flavored hummus dip and pita chips
  • spicy falafel chips
  • chocolate cookies
  • berry cassis soda - really excited about this one since I love black currant-flavored beverages
  • berry fruit chews
  • whole wheat raspberry fig bar - I never really liked the original Fig Newtons so I have high hopes for "Raspberry Newtons"
  • blueberry granola
Everything is one serving size and a wonderful variety of healthy products as in prior Goodies boxes!
I have not tried anything yet, but the soda and chocolate cookies are definitely tempting. I will pack the hummus dip and pita chips for lunch tomorrow and may include the fruit chews as well.



Some subscription services raise an expectation in subscribers that boxes will be a bargain with boxes worth more than what people pay for them. For Goodies, I personally never consider that principle to apply. The reason Goodies stands out to me that I have usually found each box to only contain products that were new to me. Goodies really stands for product discovery. So yes, I may find chocolate cookies in a box, but the company making the cookies is not a company I have heard before and in most cases I may not even be able to find the products in my regular grocery stores. I love that Goodies challenges my taste buds every month; either by introducing me to a soda, as in this box, that is a mix of black currant, tangerine and lemon or by introducing me to sunflower-based mint chocolate cups. Of course, each box will have one or two favorite items, but for me to assemble this collection of food, I would either have to mail order full size items at higher prices or drive around town and visit several stores, hoping to find single serving-sized product there.

If you are interested in having your taste buds challenged on a regular basis and want to subscribe to Goodies, please visit their website at Goodies.co and put in your information. They are continuously sending out invites, but be prepared to have to wait for a couple of months since the company seems to be continuously growing and it takes some time to catch up to all the invite requests.

Disclaimer: I received a Goodies box for a subscription fee of $7. All opinions expressed in this blog are my own and have not been influenced by Goodies, Walmart or any third party.

No comments: