Saturday, June 21, 2014

Almost there - my journey to fill my garden with daylilies!

When we bought our present house in 2009, the front yard was a mess. Totally overgrown with thorny shrubs and not a single flower outside of one small area, I was missing the colorful gardens that I had always maintained in previous houses. So I started buying daylilies as a fix for the bland greeness of the yard. Now, 5 years later, I am making progress and an end to my purchasing bulbs is in sight. I got the inspiration for a garden full of daylilies from my stay in Iowa City many years ago. An elderly couple had their backyard filled with daylilies, more than 100 varieties. Each flower was marked with a nametag and during the height of the blooming season, the yard was open for tours. I do not have nametags on my plants and I do not give tours. But I do keep my shrubs trimmed, so that people taking a walk in the neighborhood can see the daylilies easily from the street.

Here are a few of my currently blooming flowers. Enjoy!

copyright Durhamonthecheap -

copyright Durhamonthecheap

copyright Durhamonthecheap

copyright Durhamonthecheap

copyright Durhamonthecheap

copyright Durhamonthecheap

copyright Durhamonthecheap

copyright Durhamonthecheap

copyright Durhamonthecheap

copyright Durhamonthecheap

copyright Durhamonthecheap

copyright Durhamonthecheap

copyright Durhamonthecheap


No comments: