Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Food review: Fayetteville, North Carolina

While on business, eating out is a must because I cannot start packing lunches for several days. So one of the things I try to do while on the road is sampling local cooking. I stay away from chain restaurants and sample unique places that I hope have good food. My recent visit to Fayetteville, NC, introduced me to two such restaurants.

copyright Durhamonthecheap -Cajun Clam Chowder as part of the lunch special for less than $10
The first place is located downtown and called Huske Hardware House. They have a lunch special for less than $10 that includes half a sandwich with fries and either soup or salad. On my first day I went with the lunch special and was pleasantly surprised with a tasty and spicy Cajun Clam Chowder. This chowder was great; it was creamy and filling, but had just enough heat to give your taste buds a pleasant kick.
copyright Durhamonthecheap -half sandwich (the fries have miraculously disappeared already), also part of the lunch special
 The chowder was paired with half a sandwich and in my case I went with the Plank Walker and regular fries. The Plank Walker is described as ham, turkey, bacon and Cheddar cheese grilled and pressed on sourdough bread. While the description sounds like everyday, the sourdough bread is the secret ingredient to this sandwich; it is a great soft bread that has enough texture to provide a perfect basis for a pressed sandwich.
copyright Durhamonthecheap -sweet potato fries and Teriyaki wings for about $12 as lunch!
On the second day, I decided to go with the sweet potato fries that had been recommended to me and paired those with 8 Teriyaki chicken wings and ranch dressing. The potato fries were definitely the star of this lunch. They were actually sweet, not just sweet potato pieces fried and salted (in other words treated like regular fries). The fries were left unsalted to enjoy the natural sweetness of the starting material and then appropriately paired with a sweetened peach cream cheese. I can highly recommend these sweet potato fries to anyone that happens to be around Noon in downtown Fayetteville. The Teriyaki wings were not bad either. They had a nice kick to them, were left with plenty of meat and the cool ranch was a nice combination. But the fries were definitely the star of this and not just because they were prepped in a fairly unique way.

For breakfast one day, I stopped by the Biscuit Kitchen. The place is not much to look at; a fast-food type restaurant complete with drive through and the requirement to pay cash. The last point I do not mind because my parents used the same approach in their business. I was curious to see how good the cinnamon rolls really were because online reviews indicated that they were out of this world. I was not disappointed, the  crust was soft and buttery and the roll was covered in a perfect combination of cinnamon and sugar. Combined with a sausage biscuit that was flaky and buttery. this breakfast for less than $5 was a real bargain and a treat. BTW the sweet tea was just about the best sweet tea I sampled during my time in Fayetteville. I never realized it was so difficult to make a good sweet, a tea that is sweet, but still tastes like tea. For some time now, I have had a hard time finding good sweet tea in eateries; in many cases the tea is sweet, but has little to no tea flavor. The Biscuit Kitchen knows to how to properly prep this Southern staple.

copyright Durhamonthecheap - Biscuit Kitchen breakfast for less than $5

No comments: