Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Aldi eats - try this recipe to get your kids to eat cauliflower

Aldi recently had a sale of both cauliflower and pork roast. So I decided to roast the pork and use spices sparingly since I wanted the vegetables to contribute the main flavor. Initially I had planned to use the red cabbage that Aldi had on sale some time ago, but then the cauliflower on sale gave me the idea to prepare cauliflower that way my family had prepared it, if the vegetable had to carry the flavor of the meal.

I cooked the cauliflower in water until it was cooked, but still crisp. I wanted to use the florets whole and not get them all mushy. Once the cauliflower was cooked, I browned a couple of tablespoons of butter in a small skillet and then added breadcrumbs. I did not use flavored breadcrumbs since I used butter and the natural breadcrumbs allow for the butter flavor to come through.

I had previously roasted by pork loin for about 45 minutes at 400oF (for 3lbs). My pork roast had been patted dry with paper towels and gotten a simple covering of freshly ground pepper.

Below is the image of the complete meal.
Since I used no spices with the exception of pepper on the roast, the buttered breadcrumbs are coming through nicely. So if you have kids that do not like cauliflower, try this recipe to see whether it appeals to them.

copyright Durhamonthecheap - pork roast with cauliflower and buttered breadcrumbs


I had also found a recipe online in which the roast itself was covered in browned breadcrumbs. I suppose you could use Italian-flavored breadcrumbs, but I prefer to traditional breadcrumbs since I like the butter flavor to come through.


No comments: