Friday, April 6, 2012

Food review: Aldi cookies - Continential Assorted Cookies

copyright Durhamonthecheap - outside of cookies that can be bought at Aldi
Coming from Germany, I like to have a couple of cookies with a cup of coffee or tea in the afternoon or after dinner. So I was happy to see that Aldi carries an assortment of "Continental Cookies". The make of the cookies reminded me very much of De Beukelaer (the website with an image of the original cookies is seen here). While for the price of $3.99, I did not expect something like the original, I hoped that the cookies would present a nice variety of buttery goodness, with hints of coconut, chocolate and almonds.

copyright Durhamonthecheap - for $3.99 you get two individual layers like this
I opened the box and it contained two packages, each with the same assortment of cookies. I recognized some of the cookies by the look as being similar to the De Beukelaer original. I picked some of my favorites on a little plate and gave them a try.

copyright Durhamonthecheap - selection of the Aldi "Continental Cookies"
The overall impression was fairly good. The cookies do have different flavors and you get a nice selection of cookies. If you are not familiar with De Beukelaer, they probably taste very European. I was happy with some, not so happy with others. Needless to say, the biggest disappointment was that one my favorite De Beukelaer cookies, the thin Almond crisp (the picture above in the upper right corner) tasted not crisp or buttery enough for my liking. Also the Russian Cigarette cookie (fairly explanatory which cookie is that in the picture) tasted rather bland and certainly was not as thin and crispy of a wafer as I am used to. Thankfully, the chocolate used in this product is quite good and so the chocolate covered cookies are excellent.

Overall, the cookies are a good value for the money. But I definitely prefer the original and for these, I would consider a cup of coffee a must. Are they better to my tastebuds than a regular chocolate chip cookie? Yes, you get more variety and overall the cookies are lighter and have a nice selection of flavors in a reasonably priced package.

No comments: