|copyright Durhamonthecheap - homemade antipasto plate - yummy, but very inexpensive|
- marinated portabello mushrooms (can be bought at Aldi)
- pearl onions (really cheap at Kroger's if you buy the store brand)
- colored peppers (were on sale at Aldi a couple of weeks ago)
- three bean salad (also available at Aldi)
- asparagus / ham roll-ups (asparagus is on sale this week at Harris Teeter, ham was from Aldi )
For the asparagus / ham roll-ups, I bought a pound of green asparagus from Harris Teeter (on sale for $1.49) and then quickly cooked the stalks to ensure they were still crispy and not too tender. Then I rolled them up in some honey-baked ham from Aldi (regular price around $2.99).
Putting them also in bit-sized portions on a plate and the antipasto mix was the perfect home-made appetizer to a pizza dinner.
Instead of pearl onions or the portabello mushrooms, you can also use regular olives and pickles. I like to use a mix of sweet and sour, so sweet peppers and pearl onions with a small meat dish (the roll-ups) is always a nice combo.