Sunday, April 29, 2012

Captain D's birthday freebie - sign up if you have a restaurant in your town

April is always a good month for me because I get lots of free stuff for my birthday. In exchange for signing up to restaurant mailing lists and loyalty programs, you get free stuff from restaurants. Many other types of stores have similar programs, such as cosmetic stores etc. But I will blog about a couple of freebies from restaurants. The first blog is about a free dinner at Captain D's, which is a fish restaurant.

This weekend I pigged out and got the two piece fish dinner. The portion was huge and even though I did not have breakfast, the portion was too much and I saved some of the dinner for later.
copyright Durhamonthecheap - two piece fish dinner from Captain D's
As you can see the dinner comes as a standard with french fries, cole slaw and hush puppies. The fish was excellent, the meat was nice and flaky and the batter was crisp and not greasy at all. I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the fish. Tartar sauce is upon request and they will give you three packets of tartar sauce with your dinner. The sauce is okay, nothing special, but goes well with the fish. Overall, this part of the dinner was excellent.
The fries were not spicy enough for me, the flavor came mostly from the frying and I would like to see some more sea salt on the fries to bring out their potato flavor some more. The cole slaw was okay, not very strong in flavor, but nothing bad that I can say about it. These two parts of the dinner were acceptable, not great, just standard fast food fare.
The hush puppies were a disappointment. I love hush puppies and so I was looking forward to eating these since I rarely have them and usually consider them a treat. But these were not flavored at all. It was just cornmeal deep-fried. I would have definitely liked some more onions in them and maybe some actually corn kernels, anything to make then test better than deep-fried cornmeal.
Since I did not pay for the dinner, overall I am not complaining. But I would definitely go back for the fish and see whether they have a dinner or bucket just with fish and forget about the other items. The price for this dinner is about $5 at the Captain D's in Durham.

Since I felt bad about taking just a free dinner and nothing else, I decided to splurge on dessert and ordered the Banana Foster Cheesecake bites. The price for four bites was $1.99.
copyright Durhamonthecheap - Banana Foster Cheesecake bites from Captain D's
As you can see the portion includes four small bites covered in caramel sauce and some extra caramel sauce for dipping. I actually was pleasantly surprised by the dessert. The bites are about half batter / cake and then the other half of cheesecake goodness flavored with banana and caramel. If you bite into one, the cheesecake mix bursts out and you can taste the bananas. I would definitely go back to Captain D's for this dessert. It is an unusual dessert, not the standard fast food dessert fare and the flavor was good and the little bites are fun to eat.

No comments: