Saturday, October 26, 2013

Dessert Review: Nantucket Grill Chapel Hill NC

Normally I post food reviews, but this time I just want to focus on dessert. In part because the actual main dish, Crab Cake Sandwich (a lunch special), was just okay. But the dessert was phenomenal - a huge, humongous, extraordinarily big piece of Tiramisu cake. I love Tiramisu and when I walked in the Nantucket Grill on the corner of Hwy 40 and 54 I could not believe my eyes when I saw the size of the cakes at this place.

Skyscraper like height is certainly appropriate. Each cake has 8 layers of cake mixed with creme and other fillings.
copyright Durhamonthecheap - a piece of cake fit in size for family dessert, four people can share this!
In the image above you see the size of this cake slice. The flavor was excellent, each layer was drizzled with coffee and the creme in between the layers was rich, but not cloyingly sweet or fat. Yet despite the excellent flavor, the size of the slice of cake is just so big that you need several people to tackle the piece in one sitting or alternatively, if you are like me and you really want your fill of Tiramisu, you can keep eating away at the one piece four times. I opted for the second solution and enjoyed the cake Friday and Saturday as dessert for lunch and dinner. Now I definitely have my fill of Tiramisu for a while.
copyright Durhamonthecheap - Tiramisu chapter 4, the final installment and the cake stars in another webpost!
So Nantucket Grill Tiramisu cake gets two thumbs up from me. This cake is definitely worth a visit to the place. You can get the cake to go and right now they have an Anniversary special which gives you a free 1/2 slice of cake when you order entree in the evening. Like I said, I was not too impressed with my lunch selection of a crab cake sandwich. The flavor just was not there. Fries were good, but I can get similar fries a lot cheaper at other places and while the crab cake was good size, there was not a lot of crab flavor. Plus the roll was almost immediately soaked through when I put the tomatoes and red onions on the bun. This is not good since I like my sandwiches with a nice, solid bun so that the sandwich has some bite!

No comments: