Saturday, September 29, 2012

Product review: Smartfood - bzzcampaign through bzzagent.com

As part of my bzzagent.com membership, I was able to get samples and a coupon for Smartfood, a new healthy brand of snacks such as puffed corn and hummus popped chips.

I received three different flavors through the campaign. A small bag of Hummus Popped Chips flavored with Feta and Herb, then another small bag of Hummus Popped Chips in the flavor garlic and tomato basil. Lastly, a got a large bag of puffed corn in sour cream and onion flavor.
copyright Durhamonthecheap - bzzagent package for Smartfood campaign!
I was in particular curious about the Hummus Popped Chips and so I tried the Feta and Herb flavor first. One small bag is one serving and contains about 110 calories with 40 calories from fat. The serving has no cholesterol and only 7% sodium a number that I also keep in mind when trying to eat healthy. Overall, the numbers sound good and the flavor of the chips is refreshingly different from the usual snack foods you find in grocery stores. I should mention that Smartfood makes no attempt to be gluten-free - so just a word of caution here! But I like the fact that Smartfood does not just imitate regular snack foods, but comes up with their own flavor combinations.

If you have a sweet tooth, they also make a flavor called "Cinnamon Brown SugarMultigrain Popped Chips", which should be fun to eat for the kids, who may not be used to feta flavored snacks. They also have popcorn on sale in bags. These have more traditional flavors such as white cheddar or butter. These are their so-called classic flavors. Smartfood expanded on these flavors by also selling popcorn in the flavor combinations of Buffalo Cheddar Popcorn, Cinnamon Brown Sugar Popcorn, and Parmesan Herb Popcorn. Again, the cinnamon brown sugar flavor would be good for the kids to try. 

The full line of products by Smartfood is available on their website here. Overall, I am impressed with the selection of flavors and different products that Smartfood sells. I like the one flavor I have tried so far, the Feta Herb Hummus Popped Chips. For me this was a totally novel product on the health-food market and one that I will with hesitation recommend to my friends.

Disclaimer: as part of bzzagent.com I received coupons and samples in return for an honest review. The opinions expressed in this blog are solely my own and have not been influenced by bzzagent or any other third party.

No comments: