Friday, July 19, 2013

Kroger grocery trip - free items and lots of Manager's Special

I got a discount for a Redbox rental and had to get gas, so off I was to Kroger and since it was Friday I also planned to pick up the freebies that Kroger had advertised the last two weeks - Quaker Chewy Bars and Clean Total Care Shampoo.

copyright Durhamonthecheap - a total of $12 was spent for this grocery haul, which included beef for stew
 And I score several bargains. The bakery had reduced donuts (dozen for $1.99) and apple turnovers for $1.49. The turnovers are a rare treat since they are regularly priced at $3.99 and totally out of my budget. I may buy the cherry flavored turnovers, but the apple are our favorite and rarely on clearance and now we had them two weeks in a row - definitely getting spoiled!

I also grabbed the freebies, the shampoo and the granola bars. This meant I saved $4.99 and $2.39, respectively. I love Digital Coupon Friday at Kroger and lately have been lucky enough to get the bargains. Again the shampoo would not make it on the list because it is so expensive, but I have had it before as part of a product sampling campaign and love it. So I really appreciate Kroger making it available for free!

The bread was free  and so for the first time in a long time we will be eating fresh bread, no managers special for the artisan bread. The nectarines were on sale for 99 cents and I decided with all the savings I could splurge and buy this treat for the weekend. Mushrooms were reduced and reasonable, so we will be having a meal with the mushrooms as meat substitute.

The  biggest and most welcome surprise were the Healthy Choice Lunch Express in Sweet and Sour Chicken. I have never bought them before because they are close to $4 and too expensive for a lunch meal. But they were reduced at 67 cents and the expiration is not until the end of 2013. So I even did my best climbing wall imitation because of course the last two portions were on the top shelf and way in the back. But I managed the grab them and now I am a happy camper because we love sweet and sour chicken and rarely get this treat. They are fairly healthy with 17% of sodium RDA and at less than 400 calories. So the enjoyment will be double, sweet and sour chicken for lunch and not feeling guilty about eating sodium bombs.
copyright Durhamonthecheap - even if the beef was a good deal, it will be stretched with vegetables into meals ...
The last item I bought was meat. I rarely buy meat these days because the prices are outrageously expensive. Not just Kroger, but everywhere, meat prices, especially for beef, have just skyrocketed. But I gave in and bought some stew beef that will be mixed with garden vegetables to get several meals out of this portion of beef. I have plenty of peppers. The above image shows one week worth of peppers and a few tomatoes will be added. I may also add some of the mushrooms to be able to make several meals and also freeze a good portion.

So overall, a very good shopping experience and all that for not quite $12. Now I have scanned in all my items for my Nielsen points and can finally relax with a cup of iced coffee and a fresh donut - YUMMY!

No comments: