Monday, July 15, 2013

Why I love the summer - fresh vegetables from the garden

copyright Durhamonthecheap - some of my peppers that I keep harvesting from my little garden
With all the rain we have had my garden is more plentiful this year than in past years and especially the peppers are doing well. I bought a variety of pepper plants, including some green bell peppers, some colored bell peppers and some banana peppers. Now the bell peppers are growing well and I have all colors and shades of peppers in my house and keep cooking and freezing on a weekly basis.

If you have never had a garden because you think you do not have the time or the space or the green thumb, think again. I never expect a lot from my garden because I do have deer and I usually travel in the summer, which means the watering will be irregular at best. But each year I have enough to freeze for the winter. If you have a balcony, get a pot and put a tomato or pepper plant in it. So what if you only get a couple of tomatoes. Having a garden is fun and good for you. I spent about 30 minutes each sunny day cleaning out weeds  and making sure that all is well. That is 30 minutes outside on nice days that I would not be outside at other times.

I encourage all my readers to start a garden. No matter how small, maybe even a little herb garden. It is fun, good for you and you may even get enough vegetables for one salad!

No comments: