Friday, July 13, 2012

Living frugal and healthy: grow your on vegetables - certified organic

I hate to spend the extra money on organic vegetables, but still know that eating vegetables and fruit with a minimum of chemical treatment are better for you. So I started having a small garden whenever possible. My vegetable garden is not very big, but each year for several months the garden provides for a nice amount of certified organic vegetables.
copyright Durhamonthecheap - my little vegetable garden in spring with one tomato plant and some roses
I have a raised bed in the front yard that works as both a year-round flower bed for some roses and day lilies and then as my seasonal vegetable garden. I bought a pepper and a tomato plant from Aldi in the Spring for around $2.50 each. Later on, I added a squash plant, another pepper plant, two sweet potato plants and some cucumber seeds that I had gotten for free through an online promotion.
In late June I started harvesting tomatoes. I am now regularly harvesting tomatoes and east daily fresh tomatoes for dinner, usually as a simple salad with some black pepper, chopped onions and Maggi.
copyright Durhamonthecheap - tomato harvest in my household!
Here is the harvest from the last three days. You see that the one tomato plant is really producing a nice number of fresh, organic tomatoes now! I really like organic tomatoes from my garden, the flavor is so much more intense and you can really taste the difference.
copyright Durhamonthecheap - my garden, full of tomatoes, plenty of peppers, cucumbers and squash forming
I will continue to post stories about my vegetable garden, but also wanted to alert readers about the good quality of the vegetable plants that were on sale at Aldi earlier this year and I am hoping will be on sale again at Aldi next year!

No comments: