Sunday, March 24, 2013

Aldi quick and healthy eats: sandwich with side tomato-mozzarella salad

I usually shop for just about anything at Aldi and was glad to see that Aldi recently had mozzarella in their stores. That same week, they also had tomatoes in the store that were big enough to slice and make mozzarella / tomato salad.

The other night, I wanted to use up the last bit of mozzarella, but did not have enough to really make a salad. So I came up with a quick fix to stretch the mozzarella.I prepped the salad in a small glass. This allowed the balsamic vinegar to cover all ingredients, without wasting too much of the liquid, and more importantly, allowed me to alternate layers of mozzarella and tomatoes like a trifle.

I paired the salad with a simple sandwich using the hard salami from the regular Aldi lineup and added a hard-boiled egg to boost the protein content of this complete dinner. The total price of the dinner was around $2, very affordable. Yet the dinner, despite the low price, was still filling and very healthy. As I have pointed out before, thanks to Aldi we now eat more vegetables and fruit because items such as tomatoes are now priced right year-round thanks to the new Aldi in Durham.

copyright Durhamonthecheap - Aldi provided a quick and healthy dinner!

No comments: