Sunday, March 3, 2013

Cheap, but good eats: Spaghetti with ham, eggs and cheese

This week, Aldi had pasta on sale earlier this year. Their Reggano Linguine or Fettuccine at 16 oz was only $0.99. I love pasta because it is such a versatile ingredient and can always be used for a quick dinner that can filling, but light.

Today, I fixed one of our favorite dishes. A light version of Spaghetti Carbonara. I cooked the linguine. Then in a large pan used some buttery spread to create a nice, liquid base. You can use real butter or one of the reduced fat spreads, depending on how low fat you want to go. Once the spread is melted, add the cooked pasta. I like to now add a generous amount of freshly ground black pepper to add some flavor.

Then I used some of the ham lunchmeat that Aldi has regularly stocked. It comes in the 16oz package and is less than $4.00. I sliced  it into the thin strips that I added to the pasta. Then I scrambled one egg, added the egg right before serving and cooked the mixture enough to just scramble the egg lightly in the pasta. I never add the egg too early because it tends to get very dry and I feel that leaving the scrambled egg a little bit soft creates a better egg flavor.

Adding the pasta mix to each bowl, I add some shredded cheese and Maggi, which is an MSG-containing meat extract and very popular in Germany. Instead of Maggi, you can try adding some soy sauce for some additional flavor.

In the end, you have a filling, but light dinner and at a bargain price! I usually serve some fresh fruit salad or canned fruit, such as peaches, with the meal.

copyright Durhamonthecheap - lighter version of Spaghetti Carbonara at a budget price



No comments: