Sunday, March 24, 2013

Product review: CalNaturale Svelte protein shakes available at Harris Teeter

The other day at my local Harris Teeter in South Durham, the pharmacy had some coupons that allowed for a free sampling of Svelte shakes. I had never heard of the brand before, but I was informed by the pharmacist on duty that the shakes were in the health food aisle and so I was certainly willing to give them a try.

The local Harris Teeter carries three flavors, chocolate, french vanilla and cappuccino. The only flavor I did not see was spiced chai, which I would have loved to try as well. But the pharmacist was nice enough to give me three coupons, so I could try each flavor available at the store.

copyright Durhamonthecheal - three flavors of a new (to me) protein shake that is gluten-free & organic


Of course before trying any new product, I had to do some research online. It turns out that Svelte is a protein shake, but more than that is it also suitable for people who need gluten-free foods or are vegan.
Here is what the website for Svelte lists as the features of their shakes.
  • 11g protein
  • Only 180 calories
  • Certified Gluten-free
  • Dairy-free
  • 5g fiber, 20% daily value
  • Only 6g sugar, sweetened naturally with stevia
  • Made with organic complex carbohydrates for sustained energy
  • Vegan
  • Convenient, reclosable cap
I have so far tried the cappuccino flavor and I am quite impressed. I had cooled the shake, which sells for about $2.19 at the local Harris Teeter, and drank about half of it as a snack between meals. The flavor is quite nice and does not taste too healthy and organic. What I want to say is that you can convince your kids to try the chocolate or vanilla shake because to them it will be like chocolate or vanilla milk and not like they eat the healthy stuff mom wants them to eat.

the nutrition content of the Cappuccino Svelte shake!
This shake is so healthy, I am still amazed at how good it tastes. It contains filtered soymilk, cane syrup - both organic. And the vitamin content is fantastic. Each portion contains 35% calcium, 50% vitamin B12 and high amounts of vitamin E, D, and Riboflavin. Also on the good side, each shake lacks cholesterol and has only 6% sodium, while hiding behind the wonderful taste 22% protein and 20% dietary fiber. I really wish all health food tasted this good.

I cannot thank the pharmacist at my local Harris Teeter enough for offering me the coupons and allowing me to try the Svelte shakes! That is true customer service.
  •  

No comments: