Saturday, December 22, 2012

Quick treat/ snack with leftover Thanksgiving turkey or ham - Filled savory crescent rolls

Many people will have to struggle with leftover Turkey or Ham after Christmas, so I thought I would include a quick recipe that I like to make to use up some of the leftover meat from the holiday meals.

I like to make filled crescent rolls because it is very easy and quick to make this snack and the snack is surprisingly flexible in terms of filling or how you eat it. I usually include a mix of cheese and meat to fill the rolls, but you can certainly limit yourself to either cheese or meat and play around with the varieties of fillings you use. I sometimes use ham as a filling and then prior to heating the rolls up in the microwave as an afternoon snack, I drizzle some shredded cheese on top for extra flavor and crunch.

copyright Durhamonthecheap - completed stuffed crescent rolls
 In the above picture, you can see that the cheese has nicely melted and the turkey has slightly browned while in the oven. I used both ham and turkey as the filling and combined it with a spicy pepper jack cheese to balance the buttery flavor of the crescent rolls.
copyright Durhamonthecheap - a quick lunch consisting of filled crescent rolls and chicken broth with fresh chives
Here I paired the stuffed crescent rolls with a simply chicken broth. I added some frozen chives (leftover from my garden) to the soup and also added the crusted cheese that was stuck to the baking sheet to the soup. The lunch is light, flavorful and filling all at the same time.

Plus, you used up some of the holiday meal leftovers without the meal looking like a leftover.

No comments: