Sunday, February 24, 2013

Product review: Kroger Greek and Carbsmart Yogurts

As part of bzzagent, I received a giftcard and some coupons to try out new Kroger yogurts that are intended to be healthy and a cost conscious alternative to other brandname products. I have been a long-time user of Kroger storebrand products, such as Private Selection, and so I was more than willing to try a budget friendly alternative in yogurts since yogurts tend to be quite expensive in the USA compared to other countries, such as Germany or France.

In this post I will review the Carbmaster Kroger yogurt in the flavor of spiced pear. As you can see from the flavor selection, Carbmaster also comes in some more novel flavors. I had previously tried spiced pear yogurt in Europe and really like the flavor. I was happy to see that it was available in the Kroger Carbmaster series.

copyright Durhamonthecheap - big chunks of pear fruit in the yogurt!
 The yogurt tasted excellent and I was happy to see that the yogurt, despite being a store-brand and quite affordably priced (on sale for 40 cents) contains good sized chunks of fruit.The yogurt has a creamy texture, was smooth and the fruit flavor was good. I was surprised by how creamy the yogurt was. It seemed to me more on the liquid, soft side compared to what I remember the usual Kroger store brand yogurt is like. I really like it and I am happy that it seems to come in more flavors, such as pomegranate, that may be introduced to appeal to shoppers with a more healthy lifestyle.
copyright Durhamonthecheap -good size yogurt and healthy for your low carb diet as well!
The yogurt is truly low in carbs, containing only 1% total carbohydrate (and also no fiber). Not sure that I am happy about the low fiber since I was worried that it would not be a filling snack, if eaten between meals. But the yogurt did serve as a good in between meals snack that was also low in calories, with only 60 calories.
Overall, I am happy that Kroger with its budget friendly store-brand is expanding into the more health conscious lines. At 40 cents a snack, this is a very affordable alternative to carrot sticks and dip.

Disclaimer: I received a giftcard to be used towards purchasing Kroger Carbsmart Yogurt courtesy of bzzagent. The opinions expressed in this blog are solely my own and have not been influenced by Kroger, bzzagent or any third party.


No comments: