Saturday, February 16, 2013

Product review: Michael Angelo's Eggplant Parmesan

As part of the Michael Angelo's Taste and Tell family, I received coupons to share and also a couple to buy products to invite friends over for meals. The first dinner with Michael Angelo's involved the favorite of the family, Eggplant Parmesan.

copyright Durhamonthecheap - Eggplant Parmesan with big and juicy slices of eggplant covered in cheese and sauce
 Eggplant Parmesan by Michael Angelo's can easily compete with any restaurant dish involving eggplant. As you can see from the image above, they have nice and juicy slices of eggplant included. If you buy an eggplant dish, no matter what else is included, you should taste and see the eggplant slices. Michael Angelo's takes wonderful thick slices of eggplant (think Chicken Parmesan size pieces) and covers them in a wonderful tomato sauce that truly tastes homemade and then adds some cheese, because everything is better with cheese.

I normally do not enjoy frozen dinners, but this dish as are all of the Michael Angelo's dishes I have tried is tasting homemade and I have no problem serving it to guests. Last night we had eggplant parmesan with a mixed salad. It was a hit! This dish makes as great vegetarian entree and with the bad news regarding "interesting meat ingredients" in frozen dinners in European grocery stores, Michael Angelo's dishes are one type of frozen dinner I will never worry about serving in my home.

Michael Angelo's is made in small batches with all natural ingredients to produce a high quality, restaurant-style dinner. I bought the larger size eggplant parmesan dish and used the oven to heat it up.

copyright Durhamonthecheap - I promise this tastes as good as it looks, Eggplant Parmesan by Michael Angelo's
The preparation of this dish is very easy. You simply preheat the oven to 400oF and then put the eggplant dish, with the film cover, on the middle rack for about 40 minutes. Afterwards, you remove the plastic cover and start serving - it is really that easy.

I took the image above of the container with the eggplant. I love the way the cheese melts in the oven and forms a perfect cover for the tomato sauce and the eggplant slices. The eggplant slices are covered in the gooey goodness of sauce and cheese. And there is plenty of eggplant in this dish. Every bite you have will include eggplant and so if you like eggplant, but are afraid of the time it takes to prepare this dish, Michael Angelo's is the best option. Based on the Michael Angelo's Facebook page here, we are not the only ones that love this dish. It seems to be a general customer favorite and no wonder, the taste is fantastic!

To see a full line of the Michael Angelo's frozen dinners that are available in single serve to family-size portions, go to the Michael Angelo's homepage here. I believe I had most of the varieties available locally, including the chicken and regular pasta dishes. I have never been disappointed and usually have a lasagna dish or eggplant dish in my freezer, in case I need to serve some unexpected guests. As I said, the quality of these dinners is outstanding and the taste is consistent. I never had a bad batch!

Disclaimer: As part of the Taste and Tell campaign, I received a package from Michael Angelo's that included coupons for reduced and free products in exchange for honest reviews. The opinions expressed in this blog are solely my own and have not been influenced by Michael Angelo's or any third party.

3 comments:

KD5173 said...

Hated that the skin was left on the eggplant . Also it didn't cook in the time given even thought my oven temp. Was correct. The meal did taste good but I won't get it again because of the skin.

Anonymous said...

Wayyyy too much salt and fat to be healthy. Sho is good though. Like it over some nice brown rice

DCClarity said...

I tried it and the dish was easily one of the best frozen meals I have had
The eggplant was first quality and the sauce was well seasoned. I served with whole wheat pasta and a spinach salad. Excellent meal.